Over the past decade I have tried to find the balance with my nutrition. Sadly, it has taken years to reach a healthy mindset and relationship with food. I have thrown out the “all or nothing” approach and have shifted my entire outlook. Although it has been a work in progress, I can happily say I am entering my thirties with a good grasp on the whole “balance” thing.
Becoming pregnant forced me to approach nutrition in a whole new way. I was no longer eating to hit a specific goal I created for myself. I was solely eating to provide my son the best nutrients I could give him to grow and develop. I started thinking about how my body could use different foods/nutrients and what benefit they had for my well-being and internal health. That season was a complete game changer for me, and I learned a lot along the way.
I thought I would share some quick tips that have really helped me get to my happy place. If you have anything that works for you, I would love to know!
- Have a plan
- Don’t place restrictions on yourself (unless there is a health need/doctor recommendation)
- Portion your meals & be aware of what you are consuming
- Eat nutrition dense foods
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
- Only keep what you want in the house
- Have food prepped & ready for easy access (and to prevent mindless eating)
- Don’t obsess and give yourself grace
- Stick to basics
- Take care and honor your body…give it what it craves and needs to work easily & efficiently
Here is a snapshot of what our eating looks like. We love any and all food in our house!