This year was a big year for our family. Not only did we have our first child, but I left my full-time teaching job to stay home with our son. Talk about an adjustment! I knew going in to it I needed something for myself that separated my day of full time mom mode. Teaching has always been a passion of mine and a part of me, so when I heard about doing it online I was intrigued. I have now been online teaching for nearly 6 months and wanted to share my thoughts and first impressions.
- Complete control of schedule (no minimum hour requirements)
- Hours (when little is sleeping)
- Short, easy to follow lessons (25 minutes)
- Very little “prep” work (if any)
- Good pay
- 1:1 classes
- Can open up short notice classes for extra pay (less than 24 hour booking)
- Anyone with a bachelor’s degree can do it
- Training/workshops readily available
- Various levels (allows you to teach in your “sweet” spot if you choose)
- Teacher portal and app which houses everything and keeps it all in one place
- Internet connections or problems (your end or student)
- Hours (some may not like working mornings or evenings)
- Bookings or classes can fluctuate
- May take a little time to “build” schedule or gain regulars
- Taxes are not taken out (independent contractor)
- Set up costs (classroom background, a few props, headset…)
Overall, I have had a GREAT experience. I love working with kids, and think it is incredible I get to connect with them across the world through a screen. It took me about a month or so to get “regulars” and now I am consistently booked with my typical students. I work anywhere from 5am-8am (or 9am with time change) depending on the day or week and always take 1-2 days off.
I appreciate the shorter lessons and think the content is spot on. I honestly enjoy earlier mornings and am so grateful I can work a couple of hours before my child even wakes up. Creating my own schedule is probably the biggest thing working part-time. I absolutely love that I can work when I want and how much I want with the consistency and stability. I am excited to continue this journey and am thankful for the experience!
If you are curious or interested in possibly teaching online, please contact me. I would be happy to help in any way possible, or answer any questions you may have. You do not have to be a teacher or have teaching experience.
Referral Code: JACLY0018